32 VAZHAKKAI VARUVAL - Type 2

Vazhakkai Varuval/Raw Banana Fry


I am back from my vacation and had a very good time in India visiting relatives and many other places. Mostly toured 3 south Indian states. Kids too had loads of fun especially with their grandparents and cousins and they wish to go again next year if possible - also me :).
Now time to update my posts. Many were left pending before I left and ofcourse got many more in these 2 months. Will start updating one by one slowly. Also will reply to all your queries one by one as I still need some time and get back to normal routine :).


Now to start off with the one that was there in my draft from a very long period. My friends loved this so much that they asked me to prepare again and again. Only recently did I realise that I had not posted it :).
This is one of the simplest side dish and also can be made in now time. Goes well with any curries and hot rice.

Raw Banana - 1
Onion - 1 small chopped fine
Fennel seeds - 1 tsp
Garlic - 3 or 4 pods
Grated coconut - 3 tbsp
Turmeric powder - few pinch
Chilli powder - 1 tsp
Oil - 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds and urad dhal - very few
Curry leaves - few


Cut the banana in 2 and cook it water for 10 mts. Prick with a fork to check. They should not get mushy, but soft enough to immerse. Remove and drain water. Peel the skin and cool. Later cut into small cubes.

Mean while grind fennel seeds, garlic and coconut to a coarse paste.
First add fennel seeds and run the mixer for few seconds, then add the garlic to crush together. Finally add coconut and turn on the mixer for few seconds. If needed add few drops of water, just make sure they are not ground to a fine paste.

Heat oil and add mustard seeds, urad dhal and curry leaves. Next add onion and saute till light brown. Add the ground paste and stir in for few minutes for the raw smell to leave like about 3 - 4 minutes. Next add the powders(turmeric and chilli powder) and mix once. Immediately add the cooked and chopped raw banana along with salt and fry together for 2 - 3 minutes adn serve. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves if needed.


This is an other version of vazhakkai fry. Though some procedure look similar, the taste is completely different and flavorful.

Sending this to Priya's CWS - Fennel seeds event.





32 comments/Reactions:

Unknown said...

Padma, that looks wonderful !!!

RV said...

Welcome back Padma. I can have this with some rasam and hot rice. YUMM. Coconut and fennel makes it even more inviting.

Unknown said...

Welcome back padma..nice to hear that u had a wonderful vacation..vazhakka varuval looks delish & tempting.

chaitrali pathak said...

welcome back.....the dish looks wonderful

lissie said...

glad to hear that you have reached home safely!

tasty vazhakkai varuval...great combo with rice!

Pavithra Elangovan said...

Hi padma..welcome back.hope you had wonderful trip that i can see in ur photos itself. Really missed u and by the way the curry looks very very good and I love vazhakkai very much.

Shabitha Karthikeyan said...

Welcome back ! Glad to know that you enjoyed ur vacation..waiting for mine !! Varuval looks so good..Lunch time here and I'm drooling !!!

Abhilash said...

Hi Padma,

Nice to see you back. I hope you had a great time in India.

We call this vazhakkya thoran. We cut the pieces in square shapes and most of the recipe is the same. It is nice to see a variety.

You version looks nice.

kitchen queen said...

lovely and delicious vazhaikai curry with a nice click.

Nitha said...

Delicious one..

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

welcome back! lovely recipe!

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Hi Padma

Welcome back. As usual curry looks great.

Deepa
Hamaree Rasoi

Sreelekha Sumesh said...

Welcome back Padama,this is one of fav banana dish:)

dsdsds said...

Hi Padma.. How are you.. Welcome back after the holidays.. Long time no see :) Anyways I have also started to blog.. hope i will continue.. I too blogged abt this varuval in my blog.. you have given me another method of doing it.. Will try this too some time!

Shanthi Krishnakumar said...

My favourite and nice recipe. I can have it anytime in cups

Unknown said...

Welcome back, Padma..Good to hear that you had a great time with family..

Raw banana fry looks delicious..

Rekha shoban said...

this version is really new...perfect to have with rasam rice.

Chitra said...

Hi padma, welcome back.How r u ? Hope u had a gr8 time there.. Raw banana fry looks very nice :)

Hari Chandana P said...

Lovely recipe.. looks sooooo delicious and perfect.. gr8 clicks too :)

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

Anything with plantain I love to have this is simply a very tasty version... yum yum!!!

kanthi said...

Padma, i have been here fir the very first time,you have a good collection.Aratikaya recipe is good,it should only need hot rice and a dallop of ghee..
kanthi
http://myworld-kitchen.blogspot.com

Panchpakwan said...

Welcome back Padma, Glad to know that you had good time in your vacation.

Dish looks delicious..

Aparna S Mallya said...

Nice presentation. Sounds like a tasty dish.

SheelaSeng said...

Welcome back Padma.
I am eagerly waiting for you& yr new postings.
It looks good Padma.

Urmi said...

Wonderful recipe. Banana fry looks yummy and mouth watering. Wonderful presentation. I feel like having it now.
Please collect your award from my blog.

FewMinute Wonders said...

Nice recipe padma. I have not made it with onions and garlic. Will try it sometime soon.

Pavani said...

looking yummy n tempting recipe

Sadhana Valentina said...

Hi Padma, the dish is really yummy and tempting...nice pics. I love ur blog and recipes....I'm following u now...

Santosh Bangar said...

Hi Padma,
This dish looks nice. Will definity try it at home. Meanwhile, you can also have a look at my blog for some punjabi recipes: santoshbangar.blogspot.com

Pari Vasisht said...

hi. Welcome back dear. The banana subzi with fennel flavour is very new to me, I must try it.
I have announced an event do check out when u have time.
FOODELICIOUS

shubha said...

oh padma, u r back from India huh? how was ur trip? the vazhaikkai poriyal is so good.i love when garlic is added to something, it makes the food so much more flavourful

SYAM MADDI said...

Hello, My big Hobby is cooking. whatever i want to eat i will do Google and prepare all the dishes. Usually i will prepare Banana fry, but today I thought to prepare Banana Curry/Poriyal and found your wonderful Recipe dictionary. followed your preparation and added half spoon of Coriander power.Thanks you very much !!!.

Post a Comment

Please leave your valuable comments/feedback. If having problems posting them, then you can also contact me at padmasrecipes@gmail.com .

Thanks
Padma