44 KAI / SUTHU MURUKKU

Kai( Hands)/Suttu/Suthu( Roll/swirls) murukku is a very special snack prepared in Tamilnadu.

Have also posted the video below to show how to roll. Have a look at it.An other recipe sent in by my aunt(Gomathi Athai).



Making this murukku is an art and requires lot of patience and practice to roll the murukku as it is done by twisting and rolling by hands.

We used to get these goodies from native prepared by grandma and aunts whenever they visited us prepared by them and we used to love these. My sister and brother preferred the lighter colored ones whereas I wanted them nicely browned. I remember they used to make them both for us to eat.

As mentioned in my rava vadai post, my aunt(Gomathi Athai) is an excellent cook and she prepares this murukku a lot and her murukkus are one of the best that we had.

Idli/Boiled rice - 4 cups
Urad dhal - 1/2 cup
Sesame seeds - 1 tbsp(optional)
Cumin seeds - 1 tbsp
Butter - 4 tbsp( Melted)
Hing/Asafoetida - 2 - 3 pinch
Salt as needed
Oil for deep frying

Lightly roast the urad dhal till you get a nice flavor/aroma. Remove and keep aside. Cool and powder finely.
Soak rice for one hour. Grind in a grinder with very little to a fine paste using very little water. The texture of the batter should be very smooth just like the feel of butter. Remove and add urad dhal powder, sesame seeds(optional), cumin seeds,hing, salt and butter. Mix and knead very well as this gives very good murukkus. Cover and keep aside. Now start rolling your murukkus immediately. Take a part of dough in your hands and use the fingers to push the dough out, form a rope-like pattern, also in a roudn shape at the same time ,keep a round cap from bottle or use a part of the dough in the middle and start rolling across.

Video 1



Video 2



Murukku rolling by my aunt, video shot by my uncle.
The video above may give you a better idea. If you cannot hold the dough then take small size and can always connect while rolling. Repeat the same until you are done and ready for frying. Heat oil for deep frying and carefully lift and place in the pan. Fry till golden brown and remove.




The above photos are usually kept as seer in marriages or baby shower. Usually they have specific number of swirls in odd number. My aunt made these to show how it looks and added my name on it, just to show that it can be done this way to add names over murukku. She just mixed few drops of food color in the dough and mixed and after rolling the murukku's rolled out the colored dough light a thin log and cut them and pasted over the murukku's on top. These murukkus are rolled in stainless steel plate and added with the rolled murukku directly in hot oil. After few mts the murukku comes out of it and you can remove the plates with any steel holder. This is done as it is difficult to lift and drop them in oil as it tends to break.


Tips:.

If you feel the dough is too watery and cannot be rolled, then add few tsps of rice flour not very much and mix well.

If you need to make this with rice flour, then use processed flour. First soak raw
rice in water for 45 - 60 mts. Drain water and spread in a cloth and shade dry for 30 mts. Later powder in a mixer finely. Sieve if needed and follow the remaining steps. But when compared with both, using the first method you get very good murukkus.



44 comments/Reactions:

Veggie Hut said...

perfect.. need lots of patience for this..awesome..work.. perfect for tea

Raks said...

Great post and great effort padma,very very neat,the murukku is perfect,I love this too too much,but i cant make this swirls....

Priya Srinivasan - I Camp in My Kitchen said...

hi padma, Wonderful Post!!!!!Muruku looks lovely, very tempting

Unknown said...

wonderful post.. many time i tried but not came out perfect..looks really crispy..

Nithu Bala said...

Wow! Padma..Yep, I know how much patience and practice it need to make this..once I tried this but couldn't even make a single spiral strand..and finally I'v to make thattai out of it..have posted about this in my blog too..you have simply made it great..I feel like grabbing that from screen..very nicely presemted Dear..

Parita said...

Wow looks so good!

ruchikacooks said...

It is so tough to make these at home, the look so good and so perfect. I remember the 5 suthu murukku given at wedding seer/ seemandams, along with athirasam..
Thanks for the detailed info.

Simplyfood said...

These look delicious ,they are simolar to chakris we make in gujarati recipes.The rolling of murruku in video is so perfect.Simply amazing.

Vrinda said...

Perfect murukku ..gr8 job Padma..

Cicily Antony said...

oh my!!! gr8 work...wat else can i say!!! hats off to u...drooling over this murukku...

Shanthi Krishnakumar said...

Perfect, crispy and yummy

MaryMoh said...

Wow...this is the most beautiful murukku that I have ever seen!! Thanks very much for sharing.

Menaga Sathia said...

wowww excellent padma!! murukku looks crispy.thxs for sharing with us...

Ann said...

Wow, I can only wish I roll murukku like ur aunt... so pro!
Love the murukku... literally mouth watering! so cool Padma specially the name on it.. hummm awesome.

Shama Nagarajan said...

you have lot of patience dear to make this yummy snack with kids around.....great effort

Unknown said...

Wow Padma, that is lot of patience and of course practice. Can you send me a packet of these... lol

http://mharorajasthanrecipes.blogspot.com/

Champa said...

Awesome, just awesome. I don't know if I ever will be able to make something like that. If I try, I'll let you know. My mother never made these so I have no exposure to this. Thanks for putting up such a good post on this.

TREAT AND TRICK said...

Looks so pretty and crunchy too, really amazing for those artistic hand....

Priya Suresh said...

Such a beautiful murukku, am still learning kai muruku from my mom, its really hard for me..looks fantastic..

anudivya said...

I can never dream of doing this! Something I would love to learn though. The video might help I think. Thanks!

Panchpakwan said...

Looks so cripy muruku.
It really require patince and practice..:)

Madhuri Krishna Bhat said...

Looks Crsipy and tempting. Perfect snack!

kitchen queen said...

Hi Padma I would like to grab all the murukus in one go and have it.my favourite kai murukku.

Sashi said...

I bet I can never make such a kind if murukku, wish I have some one here to cook it for me !! Mrukku looks crispy and tasty !!

Kalyani said...

delicious murukkulu .... they r crispy & tempting padma .......

Pavithra Elangovan said...

Awesome padma looks too good and wonderful post. Now I badly want to have some. Cannot wait to eat some snack now.

Aparna S Mallya said...

wow, the rope pattern looks gorgeous!

Nandinis food said...

WOW! Excellent post Padma! Gorgeous and perfect murukku!!

Saritha said...

This is new to me,excellent post padma.Not able to view the video will come back to see it.

Did u ever tried to make sakinalu famous in telegana region of AP?That is very difficult to make.

Magia da Inês said...

Olá, amiga!
Passei para uma visitinha...
Seu cantinho é lindo, nutritivo e de bom gosto.
Muita paz, saúde e sucesso!...

F E L I Z P Á S C O A!!!

       ( ),,( )
       (=':'=)
  ﻶﻉჱﻶﻉ═¤═(,,)♥(,,)═¤═ﻶﻉჱﻶﻉ

Com carinho, para você e sua família...

Itabira - Brasil

Prema said...

Excellent murukku padma,going to try...following ur recipe regularlly...Thanks for posting...hatsoff to ur Aunty...

Sarah Naveen said...

Awesome!!!! looks so perfect and yummy!!!

my kitchen said...

Murukku looks perfect dear,I likes to eat this one,but i don't know how to do,thanks for sharing.

Ganga Sreekanth said...

superb dear.....Thanks for the video

Tina said...

Wow...simply superb and perfect dear...

Anonymous said...

padma i can smell it from here:))

Namitha said...

Awesome..wish I had this much patience...That's so thoughtful of you to add the videos Padma..

Cham said...

Gosh the last one is awesome, work of art well performed!

Abhilash said...

It is worth appreciation. You did a lot of hard work to decorate it.
The murukku appears crisp and tasty.

Pari Vasisht said...

Hi Padma, once again thanks to your aunt to make such a difficult task look so easy and thanks to u to explain that beautifully. The video is a big help in understanding it.

Geetha Anand said...

Very good Video and Photos. Thanks to your aunt and uncle.

Ms.Chitchat said...

Awesome murukkus. Very beautiful demos. Kudos to ur aunty. Pls send me some by courier :):)

Unknown said...

Murrukku looks so perfect and yummy. Great job!! Thanks for sharing the recipe..Special thanks to your aunt and uncle for the video..Following you..

Anonymous said...

fantastic! i really loved looking at the murukku! absolutely mouthwatering murukku!keep up the good work!

Post a Comment

Please leave your valuable comments/feedback. If having problems posting them, then you can also contact me at padmasrecipes@gmail.com .

Thanks
Padma