37 OBBATTU / OBBATTINA SAARU - 2

Obbattu/Obbattina/Holige Thili Saaru Version II



This is a very famous dish in Karnataka, usually made with the water that is used for cooking dhal for making Obbattu filling called as poornam/Hoorna and also using 2 - 3 balls of the stuffing.

Is usually made on the day of preparation of obbattu or the next day. The curry usually goes well with rice and they say this tastes more good after few reheats, that is it tastes more good a day after its preparation( If you have any leftovers).

I have previously posted a different version of this preparation which I do like my Bassaaru. This one is just like the way I do my Thi saaru. It just tasted too good and even my friends loved this a lot. The other simple is to make it just like rasam preparation, instead od using dhal water can dilute the stuffing with a cup of water and add to your rasam.


The combination of spice, tamarind and jaggery gives this curry a very unique taste which I love a lot.

Onion - 1 small chopped fine
Tomato - 2 small chopped fine
Garlic - 3 flakes sliced thinly or crushed
Tamarind - 1 small lime size
Obbattu stuffing - 2 - 3 balls
Ghee - 2 tbsp
Red Chillies - 2 broken into halves
Hing/Asafoetida- 2 pinch
Curry leaves - few
Mustard seeds and urad dhal - 1/4 tsp each
Coriander leaves - few chopped
Salt as needed
Thili saaru powder - 2 tsp
( I usually use home made thili saaru powder, will post the recipe when I make them fresh again as an alternate can use MTR Brands Rasam powder or if not regular sambar powder)

Soak tamarind in a cup of water for 20 mts and extract a dilute pulp.


Heat ghee in a pan and add mustard seeds, urad dhal, hing, red chillies and curry leaves. Wait for few seconds and add chopped onions. Fry till transculent. Add garlic and saute for a minute. Next add tomatoes and fry till the skin peels out. No need to cook till they are mashed. Just fry till a part of the skin comes out. Next add tamarind pulp and also another 1 - 2 cups of water. Reduce flame and cook till they are frothy. Now add in the stuffing and mix well so they do not have any lumps. Add salt and saaru powder. Cook together for 4 - 5 mts. Remove and garnish with some coriander leaves.
Serve with hot rice.

37 comments/Reactions:

Priya Suresh said...

This gravy sounds new for me...looks divine Padma..

Indian food recipes said...

New to me,looks spicy n delicious...tnx 4 sharing

Menaga Sathia said...

its new to me,looks delicious!!

Shanthi Krishnakumar said...

delicious and rich

FoodLovers said...

would like to give a try padma and let u know ..looks tempting

Nithu Bala said...

This is new to me..love to try this..

Shama Nagarajan said...

it's truly different recipe dear..can imagine the taste...delicious...please do collect ur gift from my 300 th post

Panchpakwan said...

Wow saru looks so spicy and colorful..
I too make this with holige...

Pavithra Srihari said...

this is very unique and definitely give it a try .

Sarah Naveen said...

This is a real new dish for me..Looks so mouthwatering!!!

Hayley said...

New gravey for me..looks soooooooo cool, I mean hot..;-))

kitchen queen said...

I am just drooling!lovely and tempting dish.

PS said...

this is new for me.. mouthwatering..

RV @ Food for 7 Stages said...

Completely new dish to me and it makes me drool

Madhuri Krishna Bhat said...

perfect recipe after feast food Padma.

Rachana said...

Its a very new dish to me...looks really delicious!

deepti said...

Thats a new one for me...
Plz collect ur gift from Panchamrutham

Gita Jaishankar said...

Saaru looks very tempting Padma...must be very delicious :)

Champa said...

It is different. We don't use onions in it. Looks good.

Unknown said...

Looks tangy and comforting. Sounds great with rice.

notyet100 said...

wow,,,this looks so comforting..

PriyaRaj said...

This is is new to me ...looks diff dear ..

Nandinis food said...

Looks mouthwatering and lovely color!

Sushma Mallya said...

Beautiful clicks padma,new to me but looks very tempting...

Rekha shoban said...

this very new and interesting one...nice click padma!

Prema said...

I Tried this curry at one of my friend's home ,i love that taste...thanks for posting this recipe.will try it soon.

Tina said...

Spicy and delicious...

TREAT AND TRICK said...

Nice color and looks delicious, Padma..

Namitha said...

That's a new dish for me...looks great Padma..

Malar Gandhi said...

That is so unique and mouthwatering dish...looks tangy and inviting.

Cham said...

I ve heard about this saaru but never tasted! Should be tasting good !

Cicily Antony said...

very new!!! looking yummy!!!

PriyaRaj said...

pls collect ur award from my blog

பித்தனின் வாக்கு said...

this the first time i seeing and hearing about this. explanations and pictures are super.

Urmi said...

New type of dish. Looks spicy, delicious and yummy. Wonderful presentation.

Padma said...

Thanks everyone for your comments :)
@

Sashi said...

Never heard of it, yummy !!

Post a Comment

Please leave your valuable comments/feedback. If having problems posting them, then you can also contact me at padmasrecipes@gmail.com .

Thanks
Padma