34 RAGI KAI/SUTTU MURUKKU

Ragi Kai/Suttu Murukku


Ragi Flour( Finger Millet)- 1 cup
Roasted Urad dhal powder - 1/4 cup
Rice Flour- 4 tbsp
Melted butter - 1/2 stick
Onion - 1
Red chillies - 2
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Salt as needed
Oil for deep frying

Grind onion, cumin seeds and red chillies to a fine paste. Strain and save the water.


In a mixing bowl take all the flours, to it add salt, melted butter and the saved water. Prepare a thick dough like consistency. Apply some oil in your hands and take a small lemon sized ball of dough and using your fingers roll and twist(just like a rope) continously and form into circles. When done press the edge to seal. Carefully remove and add in hot oil and deep fry.


Make sure all the powders are very fine so it will easily to twist and roll.

My mom,grandma and aunt make one of the best suttu murukku with rice flour. For a change they tried out this kai murukku with ragi flour which came out too good and also tasted great.

Sending this to JFI-Ragi hosted by Madhuram of Eggless Cooking.



34 comments/Reactions:

Anonymous said...

u made that kai murukku? it looks very neat..romba porumaya suthi irukeenga

Priya Suresh said...

Kai murukku with ragi looks prefect, kai suthu murukku yennaku sariyave varathu am still learning...crispy murukku looks great..

Sailaja Damodaran said...

Looks excellent,ur mom & granny are also great cooks....

kitchen queen said...

The ragi murukus look crispy nice colur and tempting

avisha said...

The Murukkus look crispy and tempting.

Padma said...

Thank you Shubha... I did not make these... my mom did :)
Thanks Priya - that's true you definitely need lot of practice for kai murukku :)
Thanks Sailaja :)
Thanks Kitchen queen :)

Padma said...

Thank you Avisha :)

Gita Jaishankar said...

Murukkus look perfect and cripsy Padma :)

Raje said...

Ragi murukku look so crispy and yumm! Love these at teatime

Unknown said...

Great job!!kai murukku looks perfect,crispy and healthy..This reminds me of my grandmom she use to prepare this kai murukku for us.Thanks for sharing.

Sunitha said...

The muruku looks crisp and nice...thanks for the recipe

Padma said...

Thanks Gita, Raje and Kothiyavunu :)
Thanks Nostalgia for dropping by and for your lovely comments :)

Uma said...

looks so delicious and healthy Padma :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, I missed to read that last line in ur post..no wonder it looks perfect..intha ammakkal ellarum eppdi thaan ivlo supera seyrangalo!

Cilantro said...

Ragi murrukku is totally different. Would love to try them soon. Amma makes them but I am not an expert in suthufying them.

Abhilash said...

I have never herd about Ragi murukku... I will provide this recipe to my mother...

Nandinis food said...

Wow! You have done it very fabulously, Padma! Looks crispy! Wish I could have one!

Champa said...

Padma,
They look perfect. My mom never made these, so I have never made these either. If you have the rice flour one, please post it or give me the link if you've already done. I would love to try them. My kids won't touch anything that has Ragi in it.

Namitha said...

You made them with your hands??!!! (I mean the shape)..wow great job :-)

Rekha shoban said...

raghi muruku is very different...looks crispy and tasty one.

Sushma Mallya said...

looks crispy and healthy

Shanthi Krishnakumar said...

murukkus are perfectly shaped and crispy

jayasree said...

Never thought of using raagi in kai murukku. Will ask my Amma to try it.

For me, amma makes the kai murukku. I have posted the rice flour version in my blog.


http://kailaskitchen.blogspot.com/2009/10/kai-murukku-ammas-special.html

gtyuk said...

I don't have enough patience to do this kai murukku but will eat very well :):)
I already love kai murukku very much , this sounds new with raagi and healthier too!!! Greetings to your amma and grandma!!!

Shama Nagarajan said...

nice try..looks perfect

Sarah Naveen said...

new recipe for me..Looks crispy and yummy!!!

Suparna said...

muruku with ragi, wow new to me, looks neat and its sure a healthy munch!
TC

Unknown said...

That sure is healthy and lovely, bookmarked it.

Tina said...

Healthy and crispy murukku with ragi. Looks perfect dear.

Deepthi Shankar said...

that looks nice & crunchy

Shri said...

Wow!You play around a lot with ingredients..I like that!

Sreelekha Sumesh said...

Kai murukku with raggi..soo healthy and delicious..looks very crisp.

Valarmathi Sanjeev said...

Wow...Padma, murukku looks crispy and yummy, healthy too.

suvaiyaana suvai said...

Murukkus look perfect!!!

Post a Comment

Please leave your valuable comments/feedback. If having problems posting them, then you can also contact me at padmasrecipes@gmail.com .

Thanks
Padma