45 APPALAM VATHA KUZHAMBU

Appalam/Papad vatha Kuzhambu/tamarind gravy.


I always make appalam koottu or vatha kuzhambu with fried appalam/papad. Don't worry if they are not crunchy after frying or even if using previous days fried papad. You can just add to the koottu or gravy. They taste great.

Fried papad/appalam - 4 Crushed or broken to big and small pieces
Red onion - 1 medium chopped fine
Small/pearl onions - 5 -6 ( cut into pieces)
Tamarind - 3 inch piece ( soaked in water for 30 mts and pulp extracted)
Sambar/curry powder - 1 1/2 tbsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds - very little
Urad dhal - very little
Hing - a pinch
Curry leaves - few
Salt as needed
Oil - 1 1/2 - 2 tbsp( preferably gingelly oil)


Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, urad dhal, curry leaves and hing... wait for few seconds until they splutter up and add chopped onion. saute for 2- 3 minutes and add chopped small onions. Fry till they are nice golden brown. Can add lot of onions. It gives a good gravy/consistency. Next add the powders( can substitute with home made curry powder/mulaga thool/pulusu podi). Mix well and add the tamarind extract. Reduce flame and wait till the gravy reduces and thickens. Also add salt. If the gravy is too tangy add a small piece of jaggery or 2 tbsp of coconut milk. Switch off flame and add the fried papads. The moment you add the papad - it will give a very good flavor. I usually add urad dhal papad for appalam poo koottu or this gravy. Tastes great.

Have recieved few awards from friends

Participating award from Shanthi for participating in her State's Special event. Thanks a lot Shanthi.


Parita, Priyaraj,Sarah Naveen and Priya Prashanth have passed on the 360 degree foodie award. Thank you so much Parita,Priyaraj, Sarah and Priya.


Priya, Priyaraj, Sarah Naveen and Priya Prashanth
have passed on yum yum blog award and giant bear hug . Thanks so much Priya, Priya Raj, Sarah and Priya.


Nivedita has passed me the Honest Scrap Award. Thanks so much Nivedita for thinking about me.


Sanghi has passed me this diamond friend award. Thanks so much Sanghi for thinking of me and passing it on.





45 comments/Reactions:

lata raja said...

This kuzhamnu is comfort food to me. Thanks Padma for reminding about the honest scrap. I have collected and done that.Please accept congratulations on all the lovely awards so deservingly showered on you.

Parita said...

Papads and tamaring..hmm my mouth is watering now! congratulations on your awards dear, truly deserving!

Sarah Naveen said...

Congrats on your Awards dear!!!
pappads and tamarind!!! terrific combo...Never tasted this...Gotta try soon!!!

ashsdelicacies.blogspot.ca said...

Nice n yummy recipe Padma...Congratulations on all ur awards

Devashish Rao said...

Hi Padma !!! This is a very yummy blog !

Do visit me at
Devashish Rao.

I would be glad if U could be friends with me in blogging. Hoping that U would follow my blog.

Regards,
Devashish

Gita Jaishankar said...

I use appalam in kootu...I love that taste...adding it to kozumbu is new to me...looks delicious..thanks for sharing this Padma...congrats on your awards :)

Padma said...

Thanks Lata, Parita, Sarah, Aysha and Gita :)
Thanks Devashish for dropping by and leaving your comments... definitely will visit your blog :)

PriyaRaj said...

Vathakozhlumbu looks Very Perfect Padma...Grt combo with Rice ......Congrats on ur Awards ......Keep rocking ...

Sushma Mallya said...

Thats a very new and delicious dish...and congraz on all ur awards...hope there's more coming ur way...

Anu said...

Vathakulambu looks delicious and mouthwatering... Its one of my favorite one...

Ann said...

Kulambhu Looks mouth watering Padma :) I wish I can join you for lunch sometimes :) :) and Congrats for all the well deserved awards.

Suparna said...

hi Padma,
Papad curries are doing quite a bit of rounds in the blogsphere ;) didnt know there are so many wonderful varities to it :) I love Tamil version, thanks for the recipe dear.
Congratulations on the shower of awards :)
Enjoy the moment!!
God Bless

Shama Nagarajan said...

Congrats on ur awards dear...lovely favourite recipe...i too have posted it long back

Padma said...

Thanks so much Priyaraj..
Thanks for your wishes Sushma...
Thanks a lot Anu...
You are welcome anytime Ann..
That is true Suparna... thanks a lot...
Thanks Shama... also checked your version ..looks yumm...

Abhilash Pillai said...

Congrats for the awards.

Kuzhambu... new recipe for me.

We normally call the oil we apply for joint problems as kuzhambu...

But the diference being this kuzhambu looks delicious :D

Shaista Tabrez said...

congratz for the awards and ur dish looks absolutely yummy

Priya Suresh said...

Wow my favourite kuzhambu, had it long back...kuzhambu makes me hungry..Congrats on ur awards Padma, u deserve it..

Unknown said...

Congrats on the shower of Awards Padma!!!! you deserve them all...this would be another papad curry recipe for me to try..

ST said...

The dish looks very exotic..

Padma said...

Thanks Abhilash... hope you had a nice time with your parents...
Thanks so much Shaista...
Thanks a lot Priya...
Thanks Sadhana/muskaan... def try...
Thanks Sireesha

Nandinis food said...

This is my favourite kuzhambu! Sometimes I just mix the kuzhambu with rice and then crush appalam into pieces and mix them again! Looks extremely appetizing!

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

looks wonderful... congrats on the awards too - well deserved...

Rekha shoban said...

congrats on ur awards padma. u deserve it dear

Sanghi said...

delicious looking kuzhambu padma.. congrats on all the awards!

Preety said...

congrats on your awards..

nice recipe ..never heard of this one b4

Valarmathi Sanjeev said...

Just drooling over the picture, looks delicious.

Congrats on your awards Padma.

Sarah Naveen said...

Please accept my awards too Padma deary!!!

Unknown said...

hummm very new to me looks delicious nice recipe will try this.

Shri said...

Congrats,Padma on the awards!The dish looks yummy!Papad in it sounds great..

Purva Desai said...

new dish for me....but sounds delicious

Jyoti V said...

Congrats on your awards Padma. Well deserved and many more...:)
I a have collected the honest scarp award and updated the same.

Vrinda said...

Curry looks delicious Padama..v make this without tamarind,urs looks easy and yumm...

Prasukitchen.blogspot.com said...

never heard of this yummy and delicious curry Padma .
looks great !!
congratulations on your well deserved awards dear ...

Mythreyi Dilip said...

Congrats on all ur awards Padma! Ur well deserved.

Appalam kuzhambhu is my favorite with steamed rice. Makes me drool

Urmi said...

Congratulations for your award. This is absolutely new recipe for me. It looks yummy and delicious. I will try it out definitely.

Hb said...

I am introduced to appadams in curries and rices only after entering blogosphere. Interesting!

Padma said...

Thanks everyone for your comments and thanks Babli for dropping by and leaving your comments... do visit more :)

Vikis Kitchen said...

My heart always goes for those authentic cuisine. Appalam kulambu looks classic.

lissie said...

this recipe is just awesome! wow, truly mouthwatering...

Indian Khana said...

Looks yum..now seen quite a few appalam kuzhambu....should try in this method ..Congrats on all ur awards

Anonymous said...

my fav padma..and i will make itur way sometime soon.congrats on the gallore of awards.

Nivedita Thadani said...

Hi Padma
How are you?
Surprise for you in my blog!!Collect it!
(http://niveditaskitchen.blogspot.com/2009/09/fresh-coriander-tokkuchutney-and-award.html)

Padma said...

Thanks Viki, Lissie and Priti ..
Thanks Shubha and welcome back... hope you had a good time in India ...
I am good Nivedita... thanks so much... will visit soon :)

indiafoodrecipes said...

First time here. You seem to have an exhaustive collection of Indian recipes.I was looking for a vatha kulambu recipe while I chanced upon your site.

Padma said...

Thank you very much Indiafood recipes for visiting and leaving your feedback. Keep visiting and trying more.
Thanks
Padma

Post a Comment

Please leave your valuable comments/feedback. If having problems posting them, then you can also contact me at padmasrecipes@gmail.com .

Thanks
Padma