31 MAIDA MURUKKU


I have tasted maida murukku many times at a friends place in my hometown Bangalore. They were very much in light color and used to just melt in the mouth. Whenever mom visited me here in US, I used to crave for this snack and asked her to prepare it for me. It used to taste great but the color was darker just like other murukkus and not like the ones that I tasted in my friends place. But, it was not a problem at all, they tasted really super and got over very soon. Recently tried this snack when one of my friend here was mentioning that she had lot of maida and did not know anyway to use them and also wanted to use it them as it was stored for long days in her kitchen pantry. Here I share the recipe of my mother's Maida Murukku that we made last week.

Maida/All purpose flour - 2 cups
Urad dhal powder - 1/2 cup
Pottukadalai powder - 2 - 3 tbsp( Fried channa dhal, split dalia)
Butter - 2 tbsp
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Sesame seeds - 1tsp
Salt as needed
Oil for frying

Dry roast urad dhal till light brown... cool and powder it finely. If using urad dhal powder , then powder till it gives out a good aroma.


Transfer the maida( just as it is and that too without adding anything ) in a vessel that can be placed in a pressure pan/cooker. Heat little water in the pan/cooker and place the vessel, cover and cook for 2 whistles or steam on high for 25 - 30 mts. Remove and cool. Later press to see if they are lumps or not... if so then first crumble them very well and transfer to a mixing bowl. To it add urad dhal powder, fried channa dhal powder, salt, cumin seeds, sesame seeds, melted butter and mix well. Slowly add water and prepare a dough just like you make other murukku dough. Grease the murukku presser with little oil and place the dough little by little and press them in hot oil. Fry well till nice brown and remove from oil.

31 comments/Reactions:

Unknown said...

I used to do make the same kind of murukku with steamed wheat flour..urs looks crunchy and crispy..Will be gud with a hot cup of cofee.

PriyaRaj said...

I used to make murruku only in rice flour .but this sounds diff......looks crispy & yum....

Padma said...

Thanks Ramya - that is also a nice idea using wheat flour.
Thanks Priyaraj - it was really yummy and crispy.

Pavithra Elangovan said...

mmmmmmmm looks so good and crunchy...past one week my son is pestering for murukku if i show him this will really start again.

Priya Suresh said...

Crunchy murukku prefect for evening snacks, feel like munching few rite now..

Unknown said...

Looks so crisp and yum I too heard about this version but never tried will try your recipe looks yum.

Sushma Mallya said...

Looks very cripy and delicious...Nice to have it as a tea time snack....thanks for sharing..

Parita said...

Similar to gathiya in gujarati..looks so crispy..perfect tea time snack for me :)

Vrinda said...

Looks crispy and yum Padama,nice color too,thanx for the recipe...

Mythreyi Dilip said...

I love Murruku, looks so crunchy. Perfect tea time snack:)

ST said...

Looks very tasty and delicious...

Vidhya said...

I am bookmarking this recipe Padma. I will try to make this for Deepavali

kittymatti said...

wow! Looks so delicious! i have never tried this before.. should try

Nandinis food said...

WOW! looks so crispy! Never had this before.

Sanghi said...

Mm nice different easy instant murukku padma.. I too have maida in stock, will try and let you know..!

Varsha Vipins said...

Crispy yummm..I am just craving for some now.:)

Sarah Naveen said...

Crispy..Crunchy!!!

Unknown said...

Send them across please, it is raining hard here in the East Coast and would love to have these with a cup of hot tea.

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

looks wonderful...

Indian Khana said...

Looks gud...I never tried maida murukku...should try

lubnakarim06 said...

Wow...very crisp and yum looking murukku....

Saritha said...

Nice muruku padma,book marked it :)

Hari Chandana P said...

My fav murukulu... looks perfect.. gr8 job dear!!

Mangala Bhat said...

Love those mmuruku ! Never heard about it ..New recipe Thanks

Abhilash said...

Hey! my mother use to make this at home ...but we call it sevai...

Also we use it in chuda, a northindia dish people have with tea...

Valarmathi Sanjeev said...

Looks crispy and yummy.

priya said...

i wud like to give u an award..plz collect it frm my blog!

dsdsds said...

crisp murukku padma.. maida murukku are new to me.. steaming them and then using the flour is a new technique to me.. will try it as soon as i buy the murukku presser equipment

Prasukitchen.blogspot.com said...

wow delicious Padma .. looks like crispy

Gita Jaishankar said...

Crispy and delicious murukkus Padma...this sounds too good...I have to prepare these soon :)

Shri said...

Wonderful Murukku,Padma!They look so perfect and golden:)

Post a Comment

Please leave your valuable comments/feedback. If having problems posting them, then you can also contact me at padmasrecipes@gmail.com .

Thanks
Padma