19 SODHI

Sodhi/ A stew made with vegetables and cooked in coconut and coconut milk gravy.


Few days back a friend requested me the recipe for Sodhi...so here I am with the recipe...my grandma and mom being a native from a place near Tirunelveli....so obvious they do this at home many times, mostly during any family get togethers. My grandma and aunt(Gomathi Athai) make the best sodhi and they usually serve this with hot rice for lunch or with Idiyappam for dinner.I had posted this recipe few months back... but reposting it with a picture.


Sodhi is very different( with light variation) from Koottu or vegetable stew. This is a traditional dish.

So to make sodhi we need

Moong dhal - 1/2 cup
Garlic - 2 or 3pods
Onion - 1 small chopped( can use shallot)- using onion is optional
Coconut milk - 1 1/2 cup
Drumstick - 5
Potato - 1 big ( chopped into big cubes)
Beans - 10 ( cut into 1 inch long pieces)
Carrot - 1 ( cut into 1 inch pieces)
Cashew - 8
Curry leaves - few
Ginger - 1/2 inch piece( crush and extract juice)

Grind together :-
Coconut - 1/4 cup grated
Jeera - 1 tsp
Green chillies - 4 or 5


Dry roast moong dhal till it turns light brown...do not let it to to darken..(Later can rinse once in water). Next add water and cook moong dhal with garlic pods ...when they are half cooked...add drumstick, beans, potato and carrot...allow them all to cook together till the vegetables are done ( soft but firm)....now add the ground coconut paste wait for 5 mts and add coconut milk.....reduce the flame and cook for another 8 - 10 minutes ...also add salt...next add ginger juice...switch off flame... or it will turn bitter with the ginger juice( or look for the tips below).


In a small kadai/frying pan heat a tbsp of oil and add cashew pieces, onion and fry well ..when they turn light brown add curry leaves and pour it on the curry. This goes well with hot rice and ghee and in our house they serve this with plain Idiyappam .

Mom's tip of making sodhi
1. Add half of cashew and grind along with coconut to get a thick /rich flavor , the other half to fry and add it during the tempering.
2. Add ginger( chopped fine/grated during tempering- so the dish does not get bitter when re heating.
3. Can add lemon juice after removing- but be careful enough while re heating- if making in large batches add lemon juice to just the portion that is being served.

In the above picture, I have not added lemon or ginger juice... just chopped some ginger piece and add it with the tempering ingredients... so now I need not worry about it while re-heating :)



19 comments/Reactions:

Parita said...

Wow Sodhi looks delicious..very healthy too, never heard of it...will try soon

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

Padma, honestly I have never made sodhi before looks very comforting... I am gonna make this soon!!!

Padma said...

Thanks Parita and Ramya ... try and let me know :)

Vikis Kitchen said...

Me too from Tirunelveli. Sodhi can be called the signature dish of my native place. Makes me nostalgic.... delicious.

Padma said...

Vicky nice to see someone close to my native ... yeah that's true sodhi is one of our native speciality dish :)

Pooja said...

Looks delicious. I have never had Sodhi before! Would love to try out this traditional dish.

Padma said...

Sure Pooja ...try and let me know if u liked it :)

Priya Suresh said...

Sodhi looks fabulous Padma!! authentic dish!

Malar Gandhi said...

Sodhi is my long time due...Nice to know that u are from thirunelveli...now on...even I am going to bug you for the regional special food. This looks awesome, dear.

Padma said...

Thanks Priya n Malar... Malar no probs... will let u know if I know them... or will in turn bug my mom or aunt's for recipes :)

Ashwini said...

This is something new..Sodhi looks delicious and yumm.

chef and her kitchen said...

Never heard of the name also padma...looks different...

Sanghi said...

mm yum yum recipe..!

Lena Jayadev said...

delious.....
something special for you in my blog.. :)

gtyuk said...

I love the rich combination of coconut/veggies/dhal and the nuts; must be succulent, will try this one of these days :)

ARUNA said...

sodhi looks delicious.......totally new to me!!!!

Padma said...

Thanks Ashwini, Prathibha, Sanghi, Lena, Akal's...
Thanks Aruna and for also dropping by :)...

Dhanya Ganesh said...

This looks something similar to the Molakuttal we make in Kerala. Looks yummy and I luv drumstick. Good one:).

Padma said...

Thanks Dhanya....

Post a Comment

Please leave your valuable comments/feedback. If having problems posting them, then you can also contact me at padmasrecipes@gmail.com .

Thanks
Padma